Quest Diagnostics is the nations leading provider of diagnostic testing information and services that patients and physicians need to make better healthcare decisions.
Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute Valencia is one of the largest esoteric medical laboratories in the United States. The company has enjoyed solid growth through scientific innovation and superior service. Located in Valencia, California in a custom designed 200,000 square foot facility.
Within the Valencia facility are a wide variety of clinical laboratories, conducting a wide variety of assays. Among the specialty areas are Molecular Biology, Cellular Immunology, Tissue Culture, Flow Cytometry, Molecular Genetics, Cytogenetics, Microbiology, and Chemistry. The site also hosts a Clinical Trials Department and a Research & Development Group.
1. Supervises department employees with responsibility for hiring, orientation, training, performance and competency evaluation, compensation, discipline and termination of employment of staff.
2. Provides leadership, coaching and opportunities for professional development to facilitate work processes, collaboration and focus on quality outcomes.
3. Acts as a positive role model and promote collaborative teamwork, open communication, and problem solving within the department and interdepartmentally.
4. Ensures compliance with state and federal laws, accreditation, professional and regulatory agency standards, including quality assurance, safety and licensure requirements within the department, and with our policies, procedures and protocol.
5. Maintains the delivery of department services and a comprehensive quality assurance program to ensure accurate and valid outcomes and continuous improvement of service quality for all customers.
6. Collaborates with management in cross-functional process improvement and problem solving to ensure the effective coordination of services within and between departments of a division.
7. Supervises personnel qualified to perform testing. Assists staff with testing and other activities as needed.
8. Provides direct and constant supervision of non-licensed staff as well as the review and release of all data generated for those duties that are permitted under CA BPC 1269 for these Lab Associates.
9. Supervises the assignment of proficiency testing, reviews results and documentation, and assures completion in a timely manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty competently. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. A valid Clinical Laboratory Scientist License or limited license in the area of responsibility, issued by the State of
2. Six years of clinical experience as a Medical Technologist with at least five years of Microbiology experience. Significant documented understanding of all clinical microbiology disciplines including bacteriology, parasitology, mycology, mycobacteriology, stool EIA, serology and molecular microbiology. Knowledge of all regulatory compliance (CAP, CLIA minimum) as it relates to Clinical Microbiology. Able to oversee a large number of personnel. Proficient in technical as well hands on bench experience required.
3. Ability to write clear and concise SOPs and policies.
4. Demonstrated effective leadership and “supervisory” experience.
5. Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Demonstrated flexibility and initiative to effectively lead change efforts to respond to marketplace or organizational changes.
7. Ability to work effectively with a variety of constituencies, and ability to lead and manage through influence and delegation.
8. Capable of effective expense reduction, utilization, management, and budget control.
9. Ability to select, motivate, develop, evaluate performance, discipline, and promote collaborative team efforts.
10. Demonstrated capabilities in cross-functional process assessment, problem- solving and process improvement.
11. Demonstrated experience in organizing and assigning work, allocating resources, and scheduling appropriate staff mix.
12. Demonstrated knowledge of current technical, quality control, and quality assurance procedures and laboratory information systems. Familiar with all aspects of Quality Control and Quality Assurance in Microbiology.
13. Experience in training.