Position Summary: Communications Specialist-Internal
This position develops strategic internal communication plans and implements those plans for Children's Medical Center to inform and engage targeted audiences and achieve business objectives. Many communication solutions address complex issues or opportunities. The primary internal audiences are employees of two hospitals and several clinics. Internal communication includes electronic and print publications, internal social media, two-way and face-to-face communication, and communication support for employees, internal events, and patient services and units.
The Communication Specialist works as part of a team to provide project management and writing necessary to deliver on strategic internal communication plans that are designed to inform and engage targeted audiences in achieving business objectives. Primary internal audiences include employees and leaders working in two hospitals and several clinics. Channels are primarily electronic, and include internal social media, two-way and face-to-face communication.
This position participates in determining objectives of team strategy and assignments. Also, the position plans, schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Limited supervision is applied to this position.
- Effectively communicate hospital mission/vision, key messages and positioning to achieve business objectives. Must possess strong project management skills and superior written communication ability for traditional and emerging communication channels. Must possess ability to translate/communicate complex medical and corporate jargon into easily understandable terms for all employees.
- Play a key role in shaping communications and content for internal audiences in the areas of patient and employee safety and quality, finance, facilities, clinical care and key organizational initiatives
- Responsible for partnering with various departments to develop strategic communication plans and implement those plans
- Collaborate with other Internal Communications team members in aligning content so that it makes sense to all employees
- Lead the team in managing survey and emergency communications internally
- Develop strategic communication plans for initiatives, issues and events with enterprise-wide scope and high complexity that affect employees of hospital. Effective plans will include situation analysis, objectives, strategies, messages to be conveyed, target audiences, vehicles for messages and methodology for measurement of success of communication.
- Ability to build strong, effective relationships with peers, vendors, and internal partners in a manner that represents Children's positively and fosters collaboration in order to gain the necessary depth required to deliver effective communications. Must be able to negotiate and say no to requests that don't fit work scope.
- Assess communication needs among employees throughout hospital. This includes regular interaction with hospital employees and ability to conduct sensing and other forms of evaluation of communication effectiveness.
- Assist internal communications manager with projects as requested
- Minimum of five years of previous work experience in internal, employee or corporate, non-profit or agency communications positions and excellent writing skills
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, English or related field preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced verbal skills, plus strong writing, editing, proofing and project management skills in not only print, but also electronic and intranet communications.
- High level of time-management and organizational skills, plus attention to detail and follow through.
- Energy and initiative that drives you to excel and continually evolve your work to the next level, plus the curiosity that fuels creative problem-solving and innovation.
- Ability to work with business partners through the organization to plan and execute communication plans that not only address organization/business objectives, but also interest and communicates effectively with employees.
- Ability to build strong, effective relationships with peers, internal partners and leaders that foster the collaboration and trust necessary to go beyond order-taking.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on schedule in spite of ambiguous and changing circumstances.
- Must possess the ability to listen and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, professional manner on the phone, through written communication and in person
- Must possess high level of initiative
- Must possess the ability to interact effectively with peers, executives, medical staff, patient/families, vendors and other customers in a manner that represents Children's positively
- Must possess efficient time management and organizational skills and appropriate attention to detail, effective follow through and commitment to excellence
- Must possess the ability to report, write, edit high-quality communication materials and possess ability to understand and translate highly technical medical terminology/procedures into layman's terminology
- Must possess the ability to assist in the execution of department-driven events and projects that relay specific messages to various audiences
- Must possess the ability to maintain regular, punctual and reliable attendance
- Must possess the ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and experiences in a timely manner
- Must possess the ability to be flexible and adaptable to change
- Must possess the ability to work on multiple tasks and projects and to prioritize